Quick Hits: My Summer Transfer Window Takes 2024 (Elaborated)

Before we Begin…

           …I apologize for no blog post in a while. For those of you that know, life has been more chaotic than CONMEBOL’s handling of Copa America combined with MLS’ Referee decisions combined. With that said, my heart goes out to all who have been impacted by Hurricane Beryl. While I am not living in Houston currently, as a native Houstonian, I can remember some of the devastation that occurs when hurricanes/tropical storms hit the city. I hope all of you are safe and normalcy returns soon. With that said, let’s talk about (what is hopefully) a bright light at the end of the tunnel, the Summer Transfer window…

Let the Dominoes Fall…

...We already know that the Dynamo have signed a DP 9 in Ezequiel Ponce and a rumored deal for a U-22 Winger in Lawrence Ennali. As of now, those are the only two moves the Dynamo have either introduced or have been linked to. Let’s analyze these for a second. To me, the Ponce move is huge. We have known for a while now that the Sebas move seemed to be a miss once Ben Olsen took over as manager. For whatever reason, Ben and Sebas could not get the best out of each other, leading to Sebas being loaned last year. The Dynamo got hot while Sebas struggled and returned to the team. Enter year two, and there appeared to be high hopes/repair between the Dynamo and Sebas. Well, we all know it didn’t quite pan out until the Ponce announcement. Sebas is heating up, with his replacement getting ready to make his debut. To me, this was the first domino to fall, leading to the chain reaction I am predicting. Before getting to that, I do want to discuss the reported Ennali signing. I know some people are upset at spending so much for someone who has not produced very much. To me, if this move goes through, this is a low risk/high reward signing. If I am interpreting the new roster rules correctly, the Quinones injury allows us to move him off our active roster to fill his U-22 slot. We also get an additional U-22 slot due to the roster rules. To me, this is a low risk signing because it is a young replacement for Quinones for this season. Additionally, if I remember correctly, Aliyu will no longer qualify for a U-22 slot next year. Ennali will then fill the Aliyu U-22 winger slot while we decide on Aliyu moving forward. To me, Ennali move is a must as we desperately need help at the wing while also building for the future. This move simultaneously fills the Quinones role, while Aliyu is still on the field; allows the team to prepare for Quinones to return and decide on Aliyu; and test Ennali on a cheap rate to see if he develops into the potential player the front office believes he can be. With that said, let’s get into the…

Chain Reaction…

            Here's my prediction on the next dominos to fall for the team to improve the team from my perspective. I think the next Domino is to sell Coco. I don't think his stock will increase any more than it is now unfortunately, and I think the FO should honor his request to leave, assuming it is a fair price. Rumors suggests that an offer was made to the Dynamo for Coco that was under $3M which is insulting in my opinion. If the Dynamo could get roughly $5M or higher, I think they should take the deal. With this money freeing up space in the budget, I think the Dynamo will have a tough decision on what to do with Sebas. If we can buy down his contract to free up a DP slot, I think we should, until he earns his right to be sold high or earn another DP contract. I can see him fitting into a formation outlined something like this (Determining the 18 was nearly impossible).

 

Starting XI W/Sebas

 

 

Bench Options W/Sebas

Unfortunately, I do not see this being the reality. I know he is in form and has shown vast improvement; however, I think it is too little too late. He is too expensive to sit behind Ponce and I think his stock is high enough to be sold at a fair price.

While this may not be the most popular option given his form of late, I ultimately believe Sebas (for whatever reason) has lost the trust of the organization, and a mutual parting of ways is what’s best for everyone. That will also open another DP slot and bring in more money to spend. From there, I think the Dynamo should use this DP slot to go after a DP winger. Yes, we are linked to Ennali; however, I think with a DP winger, this allows Ennali to be a depth signing and allows him to develop for the future. I think the Dynamo going after a DP winger who is ready to impact the team now will improve the team significantly. I would love it to be Ellis for nostalgia (assuming he is fit) but that's an aside.

With the three DP slots filled, the question then becomes, where do you use our last available U-22 slot (assuming I understood the rules correctly). To me, I firmly believe that the Dynamo are hoping Raines develops enough to be the H.H. replacement when the time comes. I know we need quality depth at the 6; however, I think we are good with Gregus and (eventually?) Valverde (not sure what’s going on there). Even so, I think we could get additional depth in other ways for the 6. I would not mind a left-footed LB, but I think that can be addressed in other ways and not through a U-22 slot. With a left-footed LB, we can move Escobar to RB for depth if not sell him to address another need. The only position I can think of to invest in for the future and develop is at the 10. I know that there's already strong competition there with Kowalczyk and Bassi. At some point, one of them will leave. Honestly, I don’t want either to go; yet I do not see a possibility of both staying by through next season. I prefer Kowalczyk over Bassi, but that is a different argument for a different day. I do not see a player developing through DynaDos to be ready to fill the 10 role. Granted, I have not seen enough Dynados to make that decision. It may be a position to develop in the draft; however, for now, I think a U-22 10 is the answer. We have good, young players developing with Dynados. To me, I think they are the future for depth at the 9 in Sylla and Gyamfi. I could easily see one being the 9 and the other as wing depth. At goalkeeper, Xavier Valdez seems to be the future. Finally, at the back line, I can see Sargent being the future there. With that said, I think the 10 is where we could use the most help now and in the future. I believe in a solid spine, and, to me, that would be the answer for the future. Would love to hear your takes. With that, let’s get to…

Stoppage Time Thoughts…

            …The moves this summer will be critical for the Dynamo’s success this season, and for many seasons to come. I think this is where the Dynamo show they are invested in maintaining success for the long term, and returning to the glory days. I would hate to be Pat, Asher, Ben, and Ted right now. While I think I know the solutions, I am not qualified enough, and this is well beyond my paygrade to even suggest my thoughts. I am just an EAFC manager at best. What areas would you like to see addressed and how. Let's keep the conversation going. Until next time, stay strong, be safe, and Dale Dynamo.

Signing off for now, “El Profe”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hustlin' was an Understatement: Matchday 4 (Portland @ Houston) Analysis

Icarus or Unfortunate?: Matchweek 11 (Houston @ Dallas/Frisco) Analysis